11/11/14

Zbrush 100%

So I've used Zbrush in my Maya workflow but I've never completed a project from start to finish in Zbrush. The upcoming version of Zbrush looks slick. The hard surface tools are especially interesting. If only I have $800 to drop on it. 


Zbrush has always felt alien to me; I can’t stand the rotational zoom configuration, and, no perspective window? WTF?
Dealing with Zbrush's weirdness was just something you had to deal with, tolerate, like a crying baby on a 2 hour flight. -.- Sure, there have been plugins that have made things a little more tolerable, like Z-Switcher, which makes Alt + LMB = orbit your model, or Crtl + LMB = Zadd/Zsub etc. Z-Switcher makes it more Maya like. ZSwitcher

If I had the money buy Zbrush R6, I feel as though it would be a waste, like I said, I've never completed a project solely in Zbrush. I've really only used it to sculpt high rez details, UVmap and some polypaint. I sometimes wish it was forced on me, like it was the only program that I found and I was forced to learn it. /shrugs
The truth is, there’s a million to one ways to do… things, and modeling is no different. Opinions on which software is the fastest, best, blah, blah,…. about these matters are no more than just opinions. In the end, it is not what program you can master but which workflow you feel comfortable using. Some can go from Maya to Zbrush to Photoshop and whatnot, but there are people who do everything in the same program. Now when it comes to hardsurface modeling, 3dsmax or Maya are far superior than Zbrush. At least at the moment, when Zbrush 4r7 releases its going to introduce new tools for hardsurface modeling, (like I mentioned earlier, very slick) but for now 3dsmax or Maya are superior. Now if you are talking about mech, suits of armor and characters that are hard surfaced? Then Zbrush is the way to go, because you don’t literally have to start from scratch, to makes those surface hugging surfaces. It’s a matter of deforming, scaling and all that fun stuff, and in no time you have a finished product.


Now, with all that said, I want to push myself to make something, 100%, start to finish, in Zbrush. Not sure what I’m going to make, as I’m only thinking about this as I write. I’ll have to dig from some references and find something fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment